- Nit Srinagar
National Institute of Technology Srinagar
Formerly known as Regional Engineering College, Srinagar, the National Institute of Technology, Srinagar (NITSRI), is a public engineering and research institution and one of the 31 National Institutes of Technology (NITs) directly under the control of the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD). It was established in 1960 and upgraded as the National Institute of Technology in 2003 and was declared as an Institute of National Importance in 2007.
The Institute is situated at the the banks of world-famous Dal Lake, with the far-famed Hazratbal Shrine on other side of the campus. There are four Boys and one Girls hostel accommodating about 1500 boys and 200 girls respectively. Besides running the B.Tech Programme the Institute also offers M.Tech programme in many streams.In addition to that a large number of students are registered for M.Phil and Ph.D Programmes. .
Objectives of NIT Srinagar
- To achieve excellence in imparting technical education.
- To work for solution of problems relating to regional development (pollution control, energy requirements, rural housing etc.). .
- To spread computer education. .
- To promote the culture of small entrepreneurship. .
- To strengthen the continuing education for industry/field personnel. .
- To establish centre of excellence in specific areas of emerging technologies. .
- To expand administrative, academic and laboratory infrastructure.
Admission in NIT Srinagar
The admissions to undergraduate BTech program is through Joint Entrance Examination (Main) or Direct Admission of Students Abroad (DASA) for non-resident Indians. Admission to postgraduate courses is done based on Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) scores, though Centralized Counselling for M.Tech (CCMT) for M.Tech courses and though Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. for M.Sc. courses.
The university includes eight engineering departments. They are:
- Chemical engineering
- civil engineering
- Computer science and engineering
- Electrical engineering
- Electronics and communication engineering
- Mechanical engineering
- Metallurgical and materials engineering
- Information technology and
four physical sciences departments for physics, chemistry, humanities and maths.
Jammu and Kashmir